February's Plant of the Month: Camellias
We’re celebrating nearing the end of a long winter with budding Camellias.
Camellias, known for their luscious, glossy green foliage and stunning, waxy blooms, are a perfect addition to any garden.
With their ability to thrive in cooler temperatures, they provide a burst of colour during the late winter and early spring months, keeping your garden blooming even before the temperature increases.
Here’s our top tips for caring for Camellias:
1. Plant your Camellia in ericaceous soil if your soil isn’t already acidic. Camellias thrive in partly shaded areas with well-drained soil. When selecting a spot for your Camellias, ensure it’s sheltered from the harsh midday sun and strong winds.
2. Keep the soil consistently moist, but not waterlogged. Mulching around the base of the plant can help retain moisture.
3. Regular pruning after flowering helps maintain the desired shape and promotes healthy growth. Remove any dead or damaged branches to encourage new growth.
4. Apply Miracle-Gro Azalea, Camellia and Rhododendron Liquid Plant Food to boost the growth and flowering of your Camellias.
5. During frosty spells, protect your Camellias by covering them with horticultural fleece to prevent damage to the delicate blooms.